Southern California Edison said it has paid more than $314 million through its Wildlife Recovery Compensation Program for victims of the January 2025 Eaton fire. The blaze, one of the worst in California history, killed at least 19 people and destroyed over 9,400 budlings.
The utility stated that as of July 1, more than 3,900 claims had been submitted, consisting of nearly 12,000 individuals, trusts and legal entities, with 31% submitted by attorneys or authorized representatives.
More than 2,100 offers have been extended to over 5,200 claimants, totaling over $743 million. More than 2,100 claimants have been paid, with many more in process.
SoCal Edison said payments ranged between $15.1 million for someone who owned multiple properties and $15,000 for a tenant whose building suffered non-burn damage.
“Behind every claim is a person, family or business working to recover and move forward,” said Pedro Pizarro, president and CEO of SoCal Edison’s parent company. “SCE remains committed to providing clear information to support community members as they explore their options and determine the path that’s right for them.”
SoCal Edison said a survey of 120 paid participants found that 82% had a favorable opinion of the program. But LA Fire Justice, which represents Eaton Fire victims, believes applicants will receive only half of what they are owed.
“After these fires, the last thing people are worried about is suing the utilities; they are literally trying to figure out where to live,” LA Fire Justice attorney Doug Boxer said. “I think they are finding the people who simply are on their last leg and need some money to put a roof over their head.”
Applications for the compensation program can be submitted until Nov 30. 2026. Applicants must agree not to sue or pursue legal action against SoCal Edison if they accept the payment. The utility has not accepted fault for the wildfire and said that the compensation program is not an admission of guilt.
The company still faces multiple lawsuits from victims, Los Angeles County, and the U.S. Department of Justice, alleging that SoCal Edison’s equipment ignited the Eaton fire.